21 things in 8 crazy weeks of summer!

In addition to running my branch’s busy Make a Splash @ your library summer reading program and blogging at my usual site, Shelf-employed, I’m participating in ALSC’s 21 Things for 21st Century KidLibs. Oh, and I also signed up for the ALSC online course, "Out of this World Youth Programming.” (I must have been out of my mind!) This blog will be a chronicle of a public librarian’s "21 things" in 8 crazy weeks of summer. Here we go...



Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Things 12, 13, 14 and 15

Moving on ...

Thing 12 Twitter and Facebook 
I've been on Twitter and Facebook for quite a while.  I use Facebook for my personal family connections, though  I did have an author "friend" me recently after she posted a link to my blog on her Facebook status.  (I had just reviewed her new book.) I sent her a message to thank her for the link and she friended me, which I thought was very cool.  On Twitter, I was surprised to receive a tweet from author Jennifer Holm of Babymouse fame after I tweeted the link to my new Babymouse booktalk podcast.  Again, very cool. (Babymouse and Jennifer Holm!) I was a late convert to FB and I still have privacy issues with them, but I definitely use it.  I also like Twitter - great place to find out up-to-the minute info on new books, movies, author info, etc.

Thing 13 ALA Connect
I'm glad you suggested this one.  I am a member of an ALSC committee, and didn't realize that our committee had an online community.  I didn't have a photo of myself, but I at least changed my profile photo to an avatar! :)

Thing 14 GoodReads or LibraryThing
I've been using LibraryThing for years and I love it!  I've reviewed over 300 books on LT and use it for Reader's Advisory to keep track of what I've read.  I've placed a link to my LT profile in the sidebar. If you sign up for LT's Early Reviewer group, you may receive ARCs of some pretty good new titles.  I've received 4 or 5, but it's hit or miss whether or not you'll be chosen.

Thing 15 Instant Messaging
I'm not big on IMing on a personal basis, but I think it's a great reference tool for libraries.  Our library uses IMing as part of the cooperative, QandANJ.  Just to check it out, I signed up for a Meebo account and will put a Meebo chat box in the sidebar.  If you see me online, say hi! so that I can fulfill "thing 15!"

1 comment:

  1. Wahoo for all of that! Sounds like you've enjoyed some of these tools both in and out of the library. Sadly, you were offline when I was checking out everyone's blogs. : (

    ReplyDelete