21 things in 8 crazy weeks of summer!

In addition to running my branch’s busy Make a Splash @ your library summer reading program and blogging at my usual site, Shelf-employed, I’m participating in ALSC’s 21 Things for 21st Century KidLibs. Oh, and I also signed up for the ALSC online course, "Out of this World Youth Programming.” (I must have been out of my mind!) This blog will be a chronicle of a public librarian’s "21 things" in 8 crazy weeks of summer. Here we go...



Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Things 16 and 17

Thing 16 - Podcasts
I like them!  One long-running podcast program is The Leaky Cauldron's Pottercast - a great source for all things having to do with Harry Potter.  I use a program called Zencast to automatically update my favorite podcasting channels to my mp3 player whenever it's connected to the internet.

 I also use podcasts to make booktalks. Here are two booktalking podcasts that I created:


You'll notice that this podcast was adapted by a school teacher for a class assignment. I don't know the teacher or the location of the school; so I was intrigued by their use of my podcast and enjoyed all of the childrens' comments!




Thing 17 - Webinars
Webinars are a great way to learn without having to take time off to travel. Booklist offers some great webinars. 

A great thing about webinars is that they're often archived, so you can watch them at a convenient time.  (I prefer to attend in "real time," so that I can take advantage of the opportunity to ask questions.)

Here's a link to a webinar I attended a few months ago. The topic is graphic novels for kids. http://vimeo.com/11435951 

1 comment:

  1. I am humbly blown away! I have yet to do my own podcast - so maybe you can teach ME! But those were GREAT! And I heart webinars too - I'm always on the hunt for new ones.

    I also love your LibraryThing widget - some of the books scrolling by are recent favorites of mine!

    ReplyDelete