21 things in 8 crazy weeks of summer!

In addition to running my branch’s busy Make a Splash @ your library summer reading program and blogging at my usual site, Shelf-employed, I’m participating in ALSC’s 21 Things for 21st Century KidLibs. Oh, and I also signed up for the ALSC online course, "Out of this World Youth Programming.” (I must have been out of my mind!) This blog will be a chronicle of a public librarian’s "21 things" in 8 crazy weeks of summer. Here we go...



Thursday, September 2, 2010

Things 20 and 21



Thing 20 - GoogleDocs, Zoho Writer, Remember the Milk
I use GoogleDocs all the time.  It’s convenient to have your documents available regardless of your physical location.    Sometimes the formatting is a little “squirrelly,” though, if you’re copying and pasting from a standard Word doc.  That’s why I’m looking forward to trying out Zoho, which seems to have more functionality.  I signed up for Zoho yesterday, but haven’t had a chance to use it.  I did, however, receive a personal welcoming email from a Zoho employee offering to assist me in any way possible and promising me that she would not be trying to sell me anything. :)

Thing 21 - Online Gaming
I’ve checked out plenty of kids’ gaming sites at work.  My workgroup is tasked with placing appropriate links for kids’ games on our library website. ALSC’s Great Websites for Kids is a great help in finding fun, educational sites. I didn’t sign up for any kids’ role-playing games, but I’ve seen many kids playing at the library.  Club Penguin is especially popular at my branch, as is Webkins.

And so, I’m done!  It’s September. Make a Splash @ Your Library is over.  My ALSC course, Out of This World Youth Programming is completed.  And now, my ALSC 21 Things for KidLibs Challenge is over.

It was a pleasure, everyone, and Kelley, thanks for your unfailing optimism!

... and they lived happily ever after. 
THE END

1 comment:

  1. OH how I heart Google Docs myself. Love that tool! In fact, I've realized that I don't use files too often. I haven't tried Zoho myself, but people do seem to like it.

    Man - I had no idea you were doing summer reading, an online course (I'm taking one on writing book reviews for children's lit myself) AND our little 21 Things project. Bravo for your stick-to-it-ive-ness (is that a word?) You rock! Your blog has been the most consistent and I hope it's been fun and you learned a few things - you were already pretty tech-savvy there! Hope to see you around the water-cooler some time in the future! : )

    ReplyDelete